Stemming from its early roots at Google, as a replacement for server-side Java and C++, the Go programming language, sometimes referred to as, GoLang, has become one of the highest-paying and fastest-growing coding languages. It’s also one of the most-loved languages in the developer community. That makes today the perfect time to learn Go!
So what makes Go different? A quick overview includes:
- Quick compilation directly to machine code for nearly any modern platform (even Android!)
- Flexible, performant, and expressive concurrency primitives (goroutines and channels)
- Huge standard library with support for most common use cases (especially great for networking!)
Conciseand intuitive syntax that makes it easy to learn, and fun to code with
- Nil/null-handling is streamlined with common defaults (and frequently non-nullable) such as integers and strings
- Automatic garbage collection allows us to abstract away the complexity of fully developer-managed garbage collection
- Easy-to-use pointers that make lower-level memory control possible
Largeand passionate community of developers and library maintainers make being a Gopher (Go developer) enjoyable and productive
So looking to start learning Go today? Here are some of the highest-ranked free (and freemium) resources approved by the IT Enquirer team!
- EXLskills – A$AP Learn Go – Fast-paced free and open course for getting going with Go
- Exercism.io – Go – Online code exercises for Go for practice and mentorship.
- Go By Example provides a series of annotated code snippets.
- Learn Go in Y minutes is a top-to-bottom walk-through of the language.